Blogger: Wendy Lawton
I’m rereading Mark Batterson’s Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge for the third time. Yes, it’s only been out for a little less than two years but this book is worth reading and rereading even in the space of a few months. On day seven, which he titles, Put on Waders, he tells the story about the year before his congregation bought what is now the famous coffee shop, Ebenezers, on Capitol Hill. They were praying for a piece of property to come available– any piece. They knew it would take a near-miracle to find anything for sale, let alone for a price they might be able to pay.
That year he took an $85.00 step of faith that set them up for the three million dollar miracle to come. His children’s school held a charity auction and he attended. Most people bid on trips or tickets to sporting events but he decided to bid on a book on Capitol Hill zoning codes donated by the Capitol Hill Restoration Society. Batterson bought the book and considered it a down payment on a dream. He sensed he needed to demonstrate his faith even before they found a property.
As I read that for the third time, it hit me– that’s what we ask writers to do all the time. Put a down payment on a dream. What are some of the things we may suggest you do?
- Create a website and begin building a reader following long before you have your first contract.
- Jump into social media and begin to build a platform long ahead of your book.
- Join the writing community and connect with other writers, both published and not-yet-published.
- Spend scarce dollars to take webinars or attend writing conferences.
- Create a writing environment in your home– a place for you to be serious about your dream. (I know, I know, but Noah built the Ark on dry land, didn’t he?)
So you tell me. What kinds of dreams do you have? Have you put a down payment on that dream? Have you demonstrated your faith before the dream has even come to fruition?
Have a dream? You may need to put a down payment on that dream. Click to Tweet
Want to be published? Maybe it’s time to put a down payment on that dream. Click to Tweet