Blogger: Rachel Zurakowski
Location: Books & Such main office, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Here’s a list of frequent blogger mistakes.
1) Negativity: Don’t always focus on what’s wrong with the world or take the defensive side to everything. Positive bloggers are more attractive and more influential.
2) Writing blogs that are too long: As many of you mentioned yesterday, blog length is very important. Avoid long blogs that might take too much time to read. Most people check blogs on short breaks, so they’ll only skim a blog if it’s too long, or they might stop reading it altogether.
3) Unfocused: Bloggers often fall into the trap of writing blogs that don’t have a point or try to make too many points. Every blog needs to focus on a main thesis.
4) Too self -promotional: Blogs naturally create publicity for the blogger, but some blog hosts still continually write about their accomplishments. This doesn’t create a community and drives readers away.
5) Forgetting that blog posts are out there forever: Many bloggers aren’t careful about what they say on a blog, and it ends up hurting them sometime in the future. Be careful because your words are out there for anyone to read at any time.
6) Writing the same thing over and over again: Make sure you find new topics each time you blog. When a blogger is trying to blog to his or her brand, it can be challenging to diversify content.
7) Forgetting that blogged content is considered published content. Bloggers who start to post chapters from their books or stories they hope to use again often face disappointment when they discover that publishers consider it published content and want new content for the book.
Do you have anything to add? Thanks for participating. I’m excited about our blog carnival tomorrow! I’ve received around 15 blog entries already. Don’t forget to email me yours at [email protected] Use “blog carnival” as the subject line.