On the iconic episode of “Parks and Recreation”, characters Tom and Donna announce their inaugural event known as “Treat Yo’ Self Day.” In what’s become an annual event on the show, they allow themselves to indulge in massages, mimosas and more. Not only did the phrase catch on, but “Parks and Rec” fans now celebrate October 13 as “Treat Yo’ Self” Day around the country.
It’s been a long year and a little “Treat Yo’ Self” is in order! While October 13 is already past, Christmas has not. So, today’s post includes a “Treat Yo’ Self” style Christmas List of 2021 Writer’s Conferences that you can either buy for yourself or ask for as a Christmas gift. It’s not too early to register!
You don’t like the idea of attending an online writer’s conference?
You want to wait until in-person conferences come back?
I don’t want to over spiritualize but, could it be that what the pandemic meant for evil has actually worked out for your writer-career good?* If tough times bring out the best in us, then this is the best time for us to work on our writing careers!
Here’s four reasons why online conferences are one of the biggest blessings of the pandemic year for writers:
- You have more opportunities to attend more conferences since online conferences cost substantially less.
- Since you don’t have to leave home, there are less logistical and financial barriers to overcome in order to attend.
- Many online events have substantially expanded their workshops offerings since physical space and time are no longer limitations.
- Online events are tailored for busy schedules with many online conferences offering viewing access for a certain time period after the event.
With all of these benefits in mind, I have just one question for you:
Is it time to “treat yo’ self”?
Let’s face it, you’ve already got your debit or credit card out buying for those that you love. Give yourself permission to show your writing career some love, too. By “too” I mean sign up for two writer’s conferences. See what I just did there?
Treat Yo’ Self to hearing fresh and inspiring keynote messages from authors that you admire.
Treat Yo’ Self to experiencing more online workshops topics that will move you one step closer to your next writing or publishing goal.
Treat Yo’ Self to an opportunity to pitch your next proposal to an agent or publisher face-to-face online (preferably to one of our fabulous Books & Such agents).
For those who regularly attend writer’s conferences, in-person or online, use this year as an opportunity to sign up for a different writer’s conference. Discover new voices and participate in new workshops in order to spark fresh, new energy into your writing.
Yes, we do miss in-person conferences and all of the planned and impromptu special moments. Likewise, we must also acknowledge the financial wake that the cancellation of certain conferences has had on the hosting communities, venues, paid staff and vendors. All of that should be mourned. But, we should also continue to move forward to honor the spirit of those events, too.
2021 Writer’s Conference Christmas Wish List
- West Coast Christian Writers Conference – February 2021
- Publishing in Color – April 2021
- Renewal Conference (Northwest Christian Writers Association) – May 2021
- Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference – May 2021
- She Speaks Conference – June 2021
- Northwestern Christian Writers Conference – July 2021
- Speak Up – July 2021
- ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers Conference) – September 2021*
- The Art of Writing/Christy Awards – Fall 2021
- Festival of Faith and Writing – postponed until March 24-26, 2022
COMMENTS: Is your favorite writer’s conference mentioned? If so, tell us what you love about it and why others should attend. If your writer’s conference isn’t listed, tell us about it below (and it would be great if you could drop in a link for others to check out).
*Super-stretch reference to Genesis 50:20.