Blogger: Rachel Kent
I don’t know about you, but I struggle each week with finding a blog topic. I am lucky to only be responsible for one blog a week on the Books & Such page. I know most of you run your own blogs and you need to post multiple times each week. I’ve found a few methods that help me to come up with topics and maybe these will help you, too.
1) Watch on loops and in groups, like ACFW or your critique group, for common questions or concerns that other writers are having. Use these topics and questions to spark a post.
2) Get personal. Connect something in your life to publishing or to your books. I did this recently with my house hunt. (We are still looking for the right one to buy, but have sold our place and are moved out.) A lot of readers would love to hear little details about their favorite authors so even if the personal story you are sharing doesn’t have much application to your story, it might still be a good idea to share it. (Just be careful to be safe with the details you are putting online.)
3) Read magazines to find articles about current events and respond to them in a way that connects to what you write about. Talk about the current event based on your worldview. That will usually overlap with your writing voice and style.
4) Think about what you do daily. Is there anything there that other people will connect with and enjoy reading about? What makes you interesting? As writers you are sure to have specific routines that you follow that other writers could be interested in. If you are a parent and a writer other writer parents might be interested to hear how you manage your days, etc.
5) Think about having a guest blogger, a contest, or blog a book review. You don’t want to have these too often because you want your blog to really be your own, but they are always good fillers for those days where you are swamped and can’t think of anything to write about.
What are some methods you use to find blog topics? I look forward to hearing your ideas because I need all the help I can get! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
How do you find blog topics? Share here: Via@RachelLKent Click to tweet.
Tips to help you find blog topics via @RachelLKent. Click to tweet.