Blogger: Rachelle Gardner
Anybody out there have dreams of publication? I imagine you’re here because you dream of sharing your words with others, whether they’re words of story to entertain and inspire people, or perhaps words of non-fiction to share some truth that might help others live better lives.
But the difficult publishing industry constantly threatens our dreams. Rejection letters bombard us and messages of impossibility abound.
Therefore if you have a deep, burning passion to share your written words with the world, then you—and only you—have to believe with everything in you that it will happen.
The sky is always falling in the publishing industry. But the truth remains:
Our options continue to expand, not diminish.
First of all, we live in a content-hungry society. We voraciously consume the written word for education, enlightenment, and entertainment. The endless hunger out there means we will continue to need writers like you to satiate the appetite.
Furthermore, with online publications and independent publishing added to the traditional world of publishing, more and more opportunities exist to share your words with the world.
You may need to change your preconceived notion of how that’s going to happen, and you may need to get realistic about whether or not you can make a living doing it. But you’ve got to believe you can do this.
The news about traditional publishing may confuse us and scare us. But people still want to read.
Here are some ways to “believe.”
- Do not allow all the “competition” from other writers to discourage you. Understand that there is room for everyone.
- Respond to rejection with gratitude that you’ve learned something.
- Be grateful for your passion and ability to write.
- Be overwhelmed with thankfulness that millions of people love to read.
- Sing praises for everyone in this business who loves to help writers’ dreams come true.
- Know you’ve been given this passion for a reason.
- Accept that you have to work to bring it to fruition—but you’ve also been given the energy and enthusiasm and time you need to make it happen.
Believe that you can do this!
I believe it for you.
I believe it for every single one of my clients. But you’ve got to believe it too. God gave you something powerful—a story or a message, and the desire to share it. God is not in the business of tricking people, or of squandering anything—not talent, not passion, not time. Pursue your God-given passions with an unwavering faith. Praise and bless the obstacles. And keep believing.
What are you believing for today?
Image credit: magicinfoto / 123RF Stock Photo