Blogger: Mary Keeley
Location: Books & Such Midwest Office: Illinois, where I’m preparing for our family’s Thanksgiving meal and fellowship
It’s so easy for us to see the glass half full, especially if life is challenging and needs are waiting to be met. The balm for Christians is praise and thanksgiving to our great God. There is no more appropriate time than this week. Join me in preparation for Thanksgiving Day and comment with ways you are blessed. My list below is by no means exhaustive.
Thank you, God…
1. for the free gift of salvation through the shed blood of your Son, Jesus Christ.
2. for your beautiful creation and for order in the universe. We can see you in it.
3. for authors blessed with the passion and gift of writing.
4. that we live in America, where we are still able to worship you freely.
5. for your Word, where we can learn about you, what pleases you, and find answers and direction for our lives.
6. for pastors and churches that proclaim truth unabashedly.
7. for music and art, and for those with the gift to perform them well for our enjoyment.
8. for good health.
9. for the gift of free will and the ability to reason.
10. for doctors, given gifts by you to help us through life and often extend our lives.
11. for the institution of family and for creating us for relationship with each other in community.
12. for friends.
13. for worthwhile work and the fruits of our labors.
14. for painful times and times of loss. You are never closer to us than at these moments, in which you stretch us to grow in faith and spiritual understanding as we open ourselves up to trust you.
15. for rain, snow, and especially sunshine.
16. for the Holy Spirit.
17. for godly leaders in our churches, schools, businesses, and in local, state, and federal governments.
18. for well-crafted novels and powerful nonfiction that enrich and enlighten our minds.
19. for publishers, especially Christian publishers.
20. for gifted editors and critique partners.
21. that you know the beginning from the end, and you are the same yesterday, today, and forever. Therefore, we can trust you completely.
22. for delicious food: the fruit of the land, sky, and water that is enjoyable and healthy to eat. And for desserts.
23. for prayer, during which we can confess our sins, make our requests known to you, and have intimate fellowship with you.
24. for wool, cotton, linen, and synthetics to make our clothes.
25. for natural resources: oil, natural gas, coal, and water to heat our homes and fuel our cars.
26. for brilliant minds who invent new technologies that make our lives easier.
27. for trees and other materials we use to build our homes, roads and cities.
28. for variety: in people and things.
29. that your love for each of us is unconditional, ever-present, and so great it’s beyond our ability to comprehend.
30. for heaven, our real home. As Christians we look forward to eternity with you, Jesus.